Multiple transit technologies were reviewed and evaluated for the Relief Line.
Subway is recommended because it:
- Provides sufficient capacity for long-term ridership needs
- Provides high speeds and frequent service to attract passengers away from the Bloor/Danforth subway
- Provides a direct transfer to the Bloor/Danforth subway
- Supports city-building goals and objectives
- Minimizes disruption and impact to existing neighbourhoods
- Can use existing facilities for vehicle storage and maintenance